Saturday, December 4, 2010

Field Journal 1: Start of GID01

After reviewing every picture in Meggs’ History of Graphic Design by Philip Meggs and Alston Purvis, I felt both intrigued and surprised. Posters, book covers, digital images, typography, and advertisements are some of the things I think of when graphic design comes to mind. Up until browsing through the images found in the book, I only thought of the commercial art world when I would think about graphic design. Thinking of graphic design in its modern context as a form of commercial art leads me to believe that I am slightly ignorant or misinformed of what graphic design truly encompasses. From what I observed, an evolution has taken place throughout the years, and the context of graphic design has changed by building upon or borrowing techniques from previous eras and different cultures.  Simply by taking the time to look at each picture in the textbook, one will discover the various styles between cultures and observe similarities and differences. There is no doubt that these different styles and the borrowing of ideas and information between cultures had an immense impact on shaping what graphic design is today. I used to consider what I saw in the early chapters of the textbook as fine art and as belonging to a completely different realm than graphic design; however, I have now come to realize that these unique forms of art served as the visual communication and graphic design pieces to the people of those times. I am absolutely excited to take a journey through time and become more informed about how graphic design arrived to where it is today.





No comments:

Post a Comment