Sunday, December 5, 2010

Field Journal 10: Where we are today...

What was my perception of graphic design before the class and how has it changed now?

       We are finally finished with Megg’s History of Graphic Design, and it’s been quite a journey! Initially, when I heard about the “History of Graphic Design” course, I was not expecting the origins of graphic design to date back prehistoric times. My notion of graphic design was simply artistic computer graphics. To me, “graphics” meant images pertaining to the computer, and “design” meant the application of these images and their interaction with each other, and this class has changed my whole concept. I used to think that graphic design only dated as far back as the digital revolution and has evolved to what we see in today’s advertisements and artistic creations. After the course, I find it most interesting that graphic design encompasses many objects which we see in our daily lives such as books, newspapers, posters, paintings, and typography. Based on William Dwiggin’s coinage of the term graphic design in 1922 – a term describing a design discipline which combines “visual art” and “mass communication” - graphic design is probably in one of its golden ages with the technology of the internet. Sharing visual art and communication is now easier than ever as the world becomes increasingly connected through the internet. Just as we read in the last parts of the book, new technologies have allowed designers to experiment and push the envelope of graphic design while inspiring others to follow suit and carry out their own ideas and experiments within the field.



Link: Article on the future of graphic design


As I mentioned earlier, and as the article mentions:


“At its best, graphic design can motivate people to do things, try things or make things that they never thought they would or could.”


       To me this quote is very significant because it implies that the only limiting factor is one’s imagination, and with the technologies today, it seems that anyone can be a graphic designer. Considering that the present is the future relative to where the book left off, one is able to see how new technologies have empowered artists and regular people to create extraordinary images which capture emotions and communicate ideas even more effectively. More powerful editing tools have allowed us to create even more spectacular and detailed images. These tools have not only allowed us to make significant advancements in graphic design, but in other art related artistic fields as well:


Link: Typography Portraits


Link: Concept Art


Link: Animation


(You might have to scroll down a little to see the animation) I thought this was interesting in that the artist chose to experiment in the much the same way April Greiman and Louise Fili did by drawing inspiration and reinventing a style. Here the pixel graphics from the age of early computers are used and animated to depict a brief synopsis of Star Wars: The Empire Strike Back.


A final thought about graphic design in general and how it relates to me

       With respect to my major, which is similar to the real of graphic arts, I realized the need to partake in the practice of relevant experience to determine if Design/Media Arts was right for me. Most recently, my experiences include my ongoing employment as a graphic designer under Mobideos, a small start-up company that offers remote video surveillance through mobile devices. Working closely with the CEO, I developed graphics for use in print advertising, on the company’s website, and within its mobile application. My experience has taught me a certain discipline that developed as a result of the close collaboration. In this type of setting, being a graphic designer does not necessarily grant the artist the freedom to develop his or her own visions, but rather it demands that the vision be tailored to suit the needs of the client. Trying to achieve this perfect balance is often challenging, engaging, and descriptive of the steps involved in the creative process, yet through constructive collaboration, my creative vision is able to shine through the given assignment. With respect to this, I feel a sense of pride after completing each task; I hold every creation with the utmost esteem. The feelings of satisfaction and pride are what drive me to continue onward; and as I continue to explore the limitless possibilities that design offers, I look to the Design/Media Arts major to continue drawing enjoyment and pleasure from within the realm of creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment